Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Maiden Voyage

That's right boys and girls, I braved the roads yesterday on my first outdoor ride of the season with my new bike!!

The running buddy was suppose to copilot this adventure, but at the last minute bailed like a stinker, so I was flyin' solo. This almost became my excuse not to go, but really, it was 70degrees out! How could I let such a nice day go to waste??

Let's rewind a bit here....give the ride some context...

Last August, I decided it would be a good idea to take on the pavement with my body and didn't fare so well. Ouch. Well after that I kinda decided to give the whole biking scene a rest for a while. I think I maybe ventured out on the Cat Bike once or twice a week to get a beverage or two, and I there was that one road ride with the running buddy that left me feeling inferior, but that's all folks.

Then this past winter, you know November through March here in WI, I think I did all of maybe 10 trainer rides (if we count all of the product testing rides I've been a part of at work I might be able to claim a dozen and a half....). My biking efforts have been pitiful at best, but my excuses have been abundant!

This past weekend there was a sale to work (2 long afternoons of selling/ installing car racks, ick, and standing on concrete, doubl ick) and the Shamrock Shuffle 10k (which I schooled, woo woo!). Monday I coerced the running buddy to actually, well, run. So when it came time to run at lunch on Tuesday (owwwie!) and bike Tuesday evening my body was just not looking forward to it. There had been no down time, no active recover, no rest, and my body new it.

So now we're back to 70degrees and sunny, home from work, no one to ride with. I thought about just putting my feet up and chillaxin. I had gotten in a run earlier in the day. That should make CoachE sort of happy with me. But really I knew I need to pony up and go for a ride. And so I did.

It wasn't pretty, it wasn't fast (or far), but it happened. I had a goal destination in mind and about an hour of daylight to do it in, and I did it. In fact, when computating and comparing my PowerTap data from this route last year to yesterday's ride, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Some averages were up, some were down, but overall I feel better about my biking. Now I just have to stick with it.

(Pictures of the new bike to come)

1 comment:

Lora Abernathy said...

Yeah, it's the sticking with it that's the hardest part! Congrats on your new bike. It does renew the experience for sure.