Monday, February 9, 2009

All things weekend related...

So last Friday, finally feeling a little better I managed to get out a better run at lunch than I had in a while. Not much better, but better.  Initially I had planned another 2-a-day with swimming after work, but after an epic-ly yucky day at work I opted for a lil retail therapy instead.  Don't judge...

Saturday was the planned "long" run of the week.  I use the term long loosely here as really 6 miles is not long.  Not by a long shot.  As me and the running buddy headed out for a run we had decided to do only 5 as I was still on the mend.  Around the 2.1 mile marker the running buddy decided to cash in his chips and stretch while I did the next ~.4miles.  Welllllll, as I continued on on my own, I suddenly felt like what the hey, why stop at 2.5 miles when I can do 3?  So kept running I did.  I made it to the new 1/2 way point and turned around still feeling pretty a-ok.  However, as is the nature of all things Katie, by the time I had picked up the running buddy on the way back I was starting to regret that extra mile.  Within a mile from home I was starting to bonk.  Guess I still wasn't feeling too great.  We finished out the run, and while the time wasn't stellar, it wasn't too far off.  The run was followed by some serious stretching and a whole lot o' icing of the knee.

Sunday was a pretty low key day.  Lots of R&R, elevating and icing of the knee.  Late in the afternoon I headed out for a swim.  Nothing long or impressive, just a little pool time followed by a little hot tub soakin'.

So today, Monday, mid-day I left my cubicle and the stress of work for another work day run.Wait, back up.  I must give credit where credit is due.  I got to work to realize that I had packed my running bag and gear....only to forget my running shoes by the back door.  Grumble!  After a few pitiful pleading text messages the running buddy was convinced to pick up my shoes and bring them to work (on a day he didn't need or plan to come in to the office no less).  What a guy!  The running buddy saved the run!  Woo Woo!!  Anywho, having laid low the day before I was feeling well rested and ready for a push.  So I headed out on my usual 3.34m loop (and yes the .34 is important, every tenth of a mile matters) I decided to see what I had in me.  And you know what I found out?  I had a PR in me!!!  That's right, for the first time in YEARS I averaged an 8 1/2 mile for a 5k.  That hasn't happened since, well, a loooooong time.  I was super stoked!  Go me!!

So that's my training story for the past few days.  There's going to more rest, ice, and training to come this week.

No comments: