Wednesday, February 10, 2016

setbacks

Would you believe that I managed to injury myself sitting? 

Literally. I spent almost three months, sitting on my ass, driving a giant monster truck across the country, and what do I have to show for it? Besides a serious lack of fitness and loss of all muscle tone. 

A bum hip.

Somehow sitting on my ass for days at a time exacerbated some bad shit in my glute, hamstring, quad, and has reared it's ugly head in the form of a really painful hip. Bursitis, tendonitis, tendonopathy, etc.  Sitting is the WORST. Followed closely by laying on that side, which given my opposite shoulder still has some issues, makes sleeping kind of miserable. Biking isn't bad, as long as I'm not torquing down to climb hills or sprint. Running is...manageable for a few miles at a time, but as soon as I stop moving? Woof. 

I've thrown everything I know at this situation. Chiropractic care, Graston & cupping, massage, traditional acupuncture, a cortisone shot (never again), and am now 6+ weeks into PT and dry needling. So far the relief has been minimal, if any. And rest doesn't seem to help at all (sitting, if you recall is the worst of the worst).

I had big goals of running my first trail 50k this year. I recruited one of my coworkers to help coach me through this. I picked an event. I've researched shoes and gear and nutrition. And now here I am, wondering how to get from A to B.

The first test of my trail fortitude was to be a spring 25k. I have two races in April in mind. So far I'm hitting my long runs, but my overall volume isn't anywhere near what it should be, and the recovery between runs is loooong and feels awful. I am fairly confident that even with my parred-down training, I can survive the 25k, but will this set me up to successfully dive into 50k training? I don't know.

I'm to stubborn to give up just yet. But I'm just smart enough to know that what I'm putting my body through probably isn't the best either. But good god do I want this. Need this.

Consider this another setback. One of many. 


No comments: