Wednesday, July 8, 2009

ROAD BLOCK!

That's right. I have officially come to a training ROAD BLOCK!

After finishing KS I noticed that my right foot and ankle was really sore. Like can't put weight on it sore. I chalked it up post race soreness, iced and elevated and assumed in a day or 2 it would feel much better. After all I didn't remember anything happening to hurt it....

Well a week and a half goes by, still swollen, still sore, still not good. I finally break down and go to my doc. Well, turns out, general med dr know squat about the musco-skeletal system. Without every touching my swollen ankle/foot she decided it was probably something with the ligaments, or maybe the muscles, or something, and just stay off it. what about the fact I can't really put weight on it? It hurts enough to keep me up at night? Oh, well ice and you should start some PT before you do any more training. Right.

Nothing for the pain, no brace of any sort, NO REFERAL TO A DOCTOR WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING?!?!

Needless to say I am looking at find a new, non-useless, all purpose doctor.

Anywho. That was 2 weeks ago. I tried to get in to PT, but couldn't see anyone until the end of July because I'm a new patient and I'm not refered from one of the sports med docs. So I rested, iced and elevated for the rest of that week. I eased my way back into swimming, relatively pain free but low effort and yardage. I've been doing some cycling...which hurts. Especially on longer rides or torquing up hills. And running, well running makes me think my foot's going to EXPLODE!

Last week I did a 2m treadmill run, ~10min/miles jus to see how it would feel. ABout 1/2m in I started to get stabby searing pains. Not good. I iced, elevated, and rested.

Last nigth I decided to say screw it and go for a lil pavement run. I did 3.1m in about 29.30, sp [retty darn slow. And once again, about 1/2m in I thought my foot was goign to fall off. WTF?! I do not need this right now.

I don't know what's wrong with my foot/ankle. My doctor's an idiot. My training is non-existent. I am in trouble....

Thoughts...suggestions...magic cures....give me what you've got?

Like ATR? Where in Madison can I find this and would it help? Is it convered by insurance?
Anyone know of a reputable nice dr that can help me out (and that I can somehow get a referal to)?
Home remedies?
Drugs?

I. AM. DESPERATE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We see Dr. Mark Timmerman out in Spring Green. He is an Internal Med out there - but use to practice Sports Med here in Madison...he is the BEST. The only sports med doc I'll see. He is at River Valley Medical.

Remedies...don't run first off. You'll be off it even longer. Ibruprofen, ice, elevate, etc...things you are doing now are good. Never had a stress fracture, but sure sounds like it with the 'searing pain' you are having.

Good luck and here is to a speedy recovery.