Monday, May 4, 2009

Lake Monona 20k

So this past weekend was the Lake Monona 20k, and honestly there could not have been a more perfect day for a little run around the lake.

I had decided last week, sort of on a whim, that I was going to do the run. I thought why not? I've got nothing else going on and it will be a good way to dial in my training for the 1/2 marathon in a few weeks as well as for KS (if I get to race....). What I wasn't expecting was for the running buddy to decide he wanted to run it as well....

Fast forward to race day, it was BEAUTIFUL!!! We seeded ourselves near the back as we were out for a casual little jog around the lake, and not the time shattering goals that some had. Before the race I had agreed that I would pace the running buddy the whole way, which was totally ok with me. This was his first time running anywhere near this distance, so I was stoked to be there to support this adventure. Although, just to be sure, the running buddy instated a safe word....mistletoe. In case of separation or emergency, all that needed be said was "mistletoe."

It was a long, slow, well paced journey around the lake. There were only a few mistletoe's (that I heard), there was one disgusting port-o-potty (ick, ick, ick), a beer stop (which neither of us partook in), and a chicken (that beat us).

Initially I was out for a PR at this race. I had my heart set on a 1:50 finish or complete explosion trying. I didn't care how hard I had to push or how destroyed I felt after, all I was thinking about was that 1:50 mark.

All in all, the running buddy's first trip around the lake took us 2:18:36, and I couldn't be happier! I felt great after the race. I wasn't sore. There were no meltdowns. I was able to partake in a few beers and chicken wings post race. I was able to be there for a pretty major accomplishment for the running buddy--something he said is could and would never do. Sure, we were beat by a chicken, but it doesn't really matter. I got to spend some quality time doing something I love doing, and I got to drag the running buddy along with me for the trip. It was awesome. I only wish I had pictures....

I swear I even heard him say he'd like to try a marathon some day... :)

Next up for the running buddy and I? The MadCity Half Marathon!

No comments: