Wednesday, July 16, 2008

9miles or BUST

So last night's goal was to break the 9mile mark running (assuming you can call what I do running). And I am happy to say that not only did I meet my goal, I surpassed it! 9.34miles! WOO WOO! I never thought it would be humanly possible for me to run much more than 3miles, but here's how it all rolled out...

After work I met Ryan downtown for some dinner and Jamba Juice (my fav), followed by a nap for me. (I have to give a MAJOR shout out to my boy Ryan for yet again making the drive to train with me and keep me motivated on my long run of the week.) Ryan was given strict instructions to wake me up after 1hr, and make me go run, no matter how much I protested. I had decided pre-nap to change into my running clothes so that I would feel extra guilty if I blew off running to keep napping. When my hour was up I really did not want to get up. I was just tired, and the heat of the day did nothing to motivate me out of bed. But after enough prodding I was up and getting ready to go. Well, almost. Then there was trying to find my water bottle...and my light....oh and where are my keys. A few profanities and 15minutes later we are headed out the door.

Holy humidity! Not even a mile into the run we are both drippy sweaty human beings. But seeing as we were pacing ourselves for the long haul and the heat, not even the sweat was going to stop us. We were cruising along slow and steady for the first 7 or so miles. I have to admit that by 7 1/2 though, I was starting to hurt. I tried to give myself the pep talk that its more mental than physical, push through it, yada yada yada. This got me through about the next mile. Then the real pain and profanity set in. By the last quarter mile I'm pretty sure I was waddling. But somehow I made it.

Home to lay on the floor for a while, shower and head to bed, hoping to feel human again by the time I woke up.

And I did in fact feel much better this morning. A little am stretching and I actually felt like in a weeks time I would be able to take on my next epic run....the 11 miler.


No comments: