Wednesday, May 21, 2008

And here I thought sidewalks were for pedestrians

Last night I headed out on my longest run of the season so far, goal of 6.5 miles, and was feeling pretty good. Around mile 2.5 I ran out of the nice black top bike path and had to move to the sidewalks, which I usually avoid whenever possible. Regardless, at my half way point I actually felt like I could make it home with out hailing a cab or hitch hiking. Heck Yeah!!

Here I am chugging along the sidewalk, about 1/2mile from the blacktop bike path I hold so dear, when a lady in a giant boat of a vehicle pulls right out of the Culvers parking lot with out looking, and right into me. My response was wide eyed no words shock while half sitting on her hood. Her response? Oh, sorry. I wasn't paying attention. Sorry? I wasn't paying attention? To the person following the rules on the sidewalk? I'm sure the recently purchase Culvers was very intriguing and important, but come on lady!!

At this point my adrenaline kicks in and I know that if I don't start jogging home I'll never make it. So I climb off the hood of her car, still speechless and continue on my way.

By the time I get home I am limping a little more and definitely feeling the stiffness. And of course by this time I have quite the litany of things I shoulda, coulda, woulda said to the clueless lady in the car. I stretch out carefully and assess the damage. Other than some hip stiffness and a little bruising, I'll live. But boy am I cranky. Way to ruin my long run!!

I'll be taking a few days off to rest the previously mentioned hip.


(Side Note: Running is the bane of my existence. I'm not built to run, nor do I really enjoy running. So when I say "I went running" i use the term running very loosely. My latest method is a combo of run 8/walk 1. It seems to be working for me)

No comments: