Friday, February 24, 2012


Last week took me on an impromptu trip to NYC to visit my BFF and help her move. Recently she found herself in a bit of a pickle...she and her longtime, live-in boyfriend broke up. Seeing as I've found myself with a little extra time these days, and she had a free airfare voucher, flying out on moving weekend seemed like the least I could do.

Going, going, gone!

First order of business on Friday evening when I arrived was dinner before heading downtown. Dinner was veggie burgers and fries at Petey's on 30th Ave. Let me tell you, most amazing sweet potato fries. EVER. Seriously, if you are in the area and are a self-proclaimed french fry connoisseur like myself, this is a must. After dinner we cleaned ourselves up and hopped a train to Manhattan.

View from the train stop.

I should mention here my love affair with the subway. I dream of living somewhere with mass transit like the NYC subway system it would be a dream come true. First of all, no car or driving. Second, (quasi) efficient mass transit. And most importantly, the people watching! Sure, I want want to wear gloves and sanitize everything, but that's just because I'm a bit of germaphobe. I'll take the germs and funk any day.

20mins later we were downtown (how magical is that?!) and headed to Broadway to see Wicked.


I've read the book (more than once) and have been known to sing along to the soundtrack, but I have to say I was a tad disappointed with the show overall. I think it was a combo of my love of the book and how awful I thought the casting of Galinda was in the show (can we say tone-deaf). That combined with the fact that both the BFF and I were distracted by our respective life challenges made it difficult to sit through the show. I am so happy I finally saw it...but kind of wish we had seen The Book of Mormon.

Next stop was Time Square. I've been there multiple times, but when you're but blocks away it's hard not to stroll by. The lights and energy never ceases to amaze me.

I refused to get close enough to pose with them, but I couldn't resist snapping a pic of one of the meany flea-ridden Elmo's panhandling.

Saturday morning, bright and early, it was down to business. The day started by renting a van and heading to Ikea so that the BFF could shop for some new furniture. And by some I mean a van full.

This doesn't even do the van load justice.

Moving in NYC is unlike anything I have ever done. There is no such thing as pulling up to front, or back, of the building, propping open the door and unloading. No. You cross your fingers and hope to find a close parking spot and you schlep everything from the van to the building. And don't even think about leaving the van open or unlocked during the process. Ugh.

After unloading the new furniture we headed back to the old apartment to pack up things there.

Holy Cows! These pics aren't even the tip of the iceberg of what we moved. Some was packed, some was not. Some was organized...much was not. Let's be honest, the BFF has never been a neat freak. I can remember college and wading through the stuff in her bedroom in search of the bed, chair, phone, etc.

Two more van trips later we had the majority of the stuff at the new apartment and it was time to call it a day!

Sunday began a day of building Ikea furniture. Who doesn't love building Ikea furniture? Oh wait, this girl.

Another thing I love about NYC is that every neighborhood has virtually everything you could ever need, and want, within walking distance. The BFF just moved to a new part of Astoria near Broadway and Steinway. Talk about a hip little neighborhood. Either street you walk down you won't be disappointed!

My favorite part?!? The fro-yo! After a loooong day of building furniture and unpacking I would say the non-fat Cake Batter and Vanilla fro-yo with sprinkles and cookie dough was well deserved.

16 Handles. Yum.

Next morning, Monday, we broke our daily Brooklyn Bagel routine with crepes. The bagels were to die for, but the Nutella crepe was a worthy substitute.

Monday was filled with more cleaning, unpacking and Ikea furniture building. Oh! And I painted a wall purple in the bedroom. There was also a bit of a roach situation, but I'd rather not think about that.ever.again. I guess that's the trade off for living in NYC.

Monday was a long, long day, which meant Tuesday started later than planned. We grabbed a quick dinner breakfast/brunch before taking the train downtown to visit a few of my favorite places before I headed home.

A trip to NYC is not complete without a stroll down 5th Ave.

Central Park

Art display outside Central Park

We also stopped by Lululemon...but I was too busy trying on clothes and shopping to take any shareable pictures. And no trip NYC is complete without a stop by the happiest place on earth, the original Tiffany & Co.

And just like that I was on a plane, headed home.

1 comment:

Ara said...

One day I'll make it to NYC. Sounds like a whirlwind of a trip, yet fun.