Thursday, December 29, 2011

Not Bondi Bands

That's right, what you are about to see are NOT my any stretch of the imagination Bondi Bands. The craftsmanship is quick and dirty, and the final outcome is eh, ok.

But I'm stoked with what I've made.

It all started with a haircut and some new pretty cute bangs. Cute, yes. Functional for a runner, not at all.


By day I was sporting a sassy new do, but by run I was at a loss for comfortable and effective hair containment system. I looked online at Bondi Bands, I checked out the overpriced, but cute, options Lulu had to offer...but then I found a headband that had been given to me at the Ragnar Great River Relay.

It was little more than a strip of stretchy synthetic fabric turned into a stylish headband. LIGHTBULB! I can make that. So I headed over to the fabric store on the way home from work...to find a completely atrocious assortment of usable fabrics. I guess it's just not that season.

What to do...what to do.

On my drive home I realized I was sitting on a jackpot of headband appropriate material at home. You know those oddball race shirts we all have floating around? The ones you receive that are too ugly to wear, or run way to small to actually be worn? Well I decided it was time to up-cycle some of those unworn shirts AND solve my bang dilemma at the same time. Win, win!

First I dug out a few sacrifice-able shirts...



...and I started cutting.
I cut strips approximately 18" x 5".



You could sew them just like this, but I opted to taper them at the back to help them stay in place.



I'm lucky enough to have a sewing mating, but with as little sewing as this project entails you could definitely do it by hand



Voila! My quick and dirty, bang containing, sweat catching, headbands.



Not too shabby if I do say so myself. :)



Now to get out there and log those miles.


- Typos courtesy of my iPad

1 comment:

emily b said...

Awesome! Great work, yo - and very thrifty! :-)