Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Biking Debacle, Part I

***Staring Señor Queso***
(names have been changed to protect the not so innocent)



So lets talk about biking these days....

I was working at the farmer's market the other day, minding my own business when out of know where appears my favorite blond coworker, Leia, toting my new ride!! It was one of the most exciting days I've had in a looooong time. I was hooked up with a sweet Cervelo P3C to demo and race on by the wonderful people at Inside Out Sports (thanks again Lawrence), and she was my sherpa. All I could think about now was getting out on the bike and playing.....

So I was all set to head out of town after the farmer's market to visit some friends and do some riding. The car is loaded, my gear is packed and away I go! I get to Milwaukee and roll into the local shop to meet up with my riding posse, and good friend Señor Queso, only to find out that they're not ready to ride that night. Grrr!! This is where my frustration begins, but what's a girl to do.

Rather than ride that night I instead had dinner at one of my fav Milwaukee restaurants, Cafe Hollander, with Señor Queso and Ryan, followed by drinks at Paddy's. Now let me here interject that the plan is to ride at 7am Sunday morning as to allow time for some serious miles (and Senior Queso to be to work by noon). Well I had my staple single beer and hung out while others chose to party it up. Drinks led to seeing Batman (me sooooo no likey), and before I knew it we were rolling in at 1am. Opps. It was then decided that we'd attempt to hit the road at 7:30am instead.

The alarm goes off and I am up-ish and ready to go. Señor Queso, however, is not feeling so well this morning. After letting out fellow rider Iggy know that we'll be later than planned, I try to get Señor Queso motivated and out the door. Fast forward. It's now 8:30 and we are just getting to the meeting point. We pick up Iggy and gear up to ride. By the time we are off and riding it's going on 9. Here goes nothing.

The ride was relatively uneventful. It ended up being much much shorter than planned due to time restraints and well, Señor Queso not feeling so hot. In fact on many of the hills Iggy had to push Señor Queso up the hill (Iggy is an ANIMAL on a bike and things like pushing another rider up the hill don't phase him). I may have gotten us a little lost, but it happens. I did get to try out my new sweet ride, which is the best part of the story.

Lesson Learned?? Maybe limit your cocktails before attempting an epic ride Señor Queso.


No comments: